Sunday, December 4, 2011

Nightwish "Imaginaerum" Review

I have been listening to the new Nightwish album "Imaginaerum". At first I was a wee bit skeptical when I heard the first single, Storytime and I still say that is the weakest song on the album but now that I listen to the rest of the songs I really quite like it!
      Rest Calm, Turn Loose the Mermaids and Scartale are my favourites I think, but that might change once I have seen the movie which I'm quite excited for; it should be very interesting. The more I listen to the songs the more I like the folky, circusy feel to the album and the depiction of the story.  
      Song of Myself is a beautiful epic poem; it is a deep insight into the mind and heart of Tuomus Holopainen, the pianist/songwriter/composer of Nightwish.
      There are some negatives for me every now and then. For instance, I don't really like how the trumpets are implemented (I can't really put my finger on it but, there it is). Some of the songs seem to lack polish and can be quite repetitive without any interesting form. I believe this to be due to the way it will tie into the movie but we will have to wait and see.

These are my thoughts, I would love to hear yours! :)

- tom

No comments:

Post a Comment